8 hours in San Antonio

I promised Kumar to visit him at Austin during the Independence day long weekend. However due to exorbitant ticket prices ($500 for round trip to AUS from SNA), I took a flight to San Antonio for my onward journey, where Kumar joined me. In retrospect, it was a wise decision as I might not have visited this historical city otherwise.

La Alamo
After watching Colbert interview (read make fun of) the mayor of San Antonio, Julian Castro, during the week before my trip, I was eager to visit La Alamo which is the venue of a pivotal event in Texas Revolution, Battle of the Alamo. During this battle, a Mexican army of more than 2000 soldiers were defended by a Texian army of 200 soldiers for 13 days before the Texians capitulated. Buoyed by a desire for revenge, the Texian army with aid from adventurers from United States defeated the Mexicans, thus ending the revolution. This monument tells the story of important personalities of this war. Artifacts such as the guns, swords, knives, letters and maps are still on display for the tourists. It is a must visit, particularly for a history buff.

River Walk
In one line, River Walk is an attempt to recreate Venice in downtown San Antonio. I need to visit Venice before deeming it successful or otherwise. Lined with pubs and restaurants on either side of the river, it is a very colorful and active place, thus an attraction in its own right. It is important not to miss out on killer deals at souvenir shops along the walk; I got a Texan Hat for $7. Since we were at the River walk at an unfavorable-for-a-meal time, I did not dine; but I could tell that the restaurants here offer good options for a date.

Tower of the Americas
Tower and observation deck are synonymous in the US according to me and I was not disproved by "Tower of the Americas". This 750 feet tall structure offers an incredible view of the entire city. Contrary to my belief (that Texas is a desert) , San Antonio looks to be filled with green lawns all over. The entry ticket includes a 4-D movie called "Skies over Texas", presenting the history of Texas. There is a restaurant located one storey right below the observation deck. Its USP is that it rotates slowly, offering its diners a 360 degree view of the landscape of San Antonio.

San Antonio being the second largest city in Texas and the seventh largest in the United States, certainly has much more to offer for a tourist. It is worth stopping here if you are riding on I-10 sometime.

Comments

  1. Excellent summary! Another highly recommended location is the San Antonio Museum of Art.

    Can we expect a similar review of Austin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kumar. Will write one for Austin as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One day in Mylapore

Is Google+ a Facebook Killer?

I love to visit Madras